Here at BSG, we love a good story. Even when words fail us, we can still tell a good story using images.
Humans are wired to organize information in a way that makes sense, often in the form of a narrative, but we are also visual creatures. About 90% of information transmitted to the brain is visual and about 65% of us are visual learners. So why not marry the two and create truly compelling content through visual storytelling?
Here are some scientific reasons why visual content is so effective:
- 90% of information transmitted to the brain is visual
- Visuals are processed 60,000 times faster in the brain than text
- 40% of people will respond better to visual information than plain text
- 93% of all human communication is nonverbal
If you're still asking why visuals are important in storytelling, check out the infographic on using images below from our friends at Widen, a digital asset management company. Some highlights include:
- Articles that contain images get 44% more views than articles without
- Users clicking on photos of real people are 200% as likely to convert to a sale
- Images make up 93% of the most engaging posts on Facebook (up from 83% in 2012)
- Tweets with images receive 150% more retweets